Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Benefit

It's been a pretty hectic week, and looking to be another one in the making. Probably going to be another week of erratic posting.

The benefit for Barry was this past Saturday. That went rather well, considering the weather. It was damn cold! We had a Poker run and then a party at one of Barry's favorite haunts. For those that don't know, a poker run is a fundraiser where I would take my bike, register with whoever is in charge of the run, they give me a sheet and a map that shows your list of stops to make. At each stop, which usually is a bar, but can be almost anywhere that someone is willing to put up with a large number of bikers, I draw a card. Whoever has the best hand at the end of the ride wins cash. As in many cases, the winner of this one just gave it back to Barry.

And Barry was there. He's doing pretty good; moves a little gingerly, but other than that, he looks pretty good. Although, as I told him, that doesn't mean he's not ugly! Doctors say he's at about 80% mentally, but that should soon improve.(Of course, even Barry said that 80% is much better than what he usually has working!) They keep telling his wife that he's a walking miracle, and she agrees. She's doing really well handling all of this.

The benefit raised about $15,000 for Barry. Not too shabby for under three weeks of preparation! My youngest brother and one of his friends started planning it out one night at the bar. Everything seemed to come together. It ended up being the largest poker run of the year, for that bar. They had a raffle for cash, with a first of $500, second $250 and $100 third. At the party itself, people had donated gifts, so there were a couple other raffles going on. I won a game called "Dirty Minds." I don't know if I'm going to be very good at it! ;)

I was selling raffle tickets for the past two weeks, and I've gotta say again; I'm not a salesman! They were five bucks apiece, with a book of three for ten bucks. I eventually ended up selling about $400 worth, but it took quite awhile. (And before someone hollers at me about not trying to sell them here, I thought about it, but it seemed like it might be a little awkward. Personal info needed and all.) I now know that if someone ever asks me to buy something, and I can't afford it or don't want it, I'll just say, "No, I can't right now. Sorry." I'll never again try to offer up reasons why I can't. Some of the excuses tossed at me had me shaking with ire. "Things are really bad right now, I've got too many bills, I've gotta do (this) for my kid, etc., etc." I know that these were ligit reasons ... some of them. But think about what you're saying and how it sounds compared to "Barry's got $250,000 in medical bills." One of the best ones, was a guy being all sympathetic and worried about Barry, and then when I asked if he would by a raffle ticket to help, says very bluntly, no. A simple "no" is what I asked for, but that just had me at the point of snapping!

One of my brother's friends is a much more effective saleman than I. When one guy at the track (they all drag race) rudely told him "no," JT just said, "You ride, right?" "Yeah, why?" "Just keep this in mind when you go down," and then he walked away. He wasn't wishing bad on the guy, but he sure made him think!

Anyway, it was a busy weekend, and it sounds like this is going to be the same. I'm helping to move my mother on Saturday. Yay! (grumble, grumble, grumble)